Bernard Ebbers (1941- )
- novelist, poet, critic
- CEO of WorldCom
- born in 1941 in Edmonton Alberta
- first job derlivering milk, also worked as a bouncer
- won basketball scholarship to Missisippi College
- bought a motel in 1974 in Colonel, Miss.
- in 1983 started a long distance phone company (LDDS) in Jackson Miss.
becomes CEO in 1985
- 1989 merges with Advantage Co.
- 1993 merges with Metromedia and Resurgens Communications Group
- 1995 purchaes WilTel Network Services for $1.2 billion, changes name to
- 1996 pays $14 billion for MFS Communications, acquiring UUNET
- 1997 acquired internet backbones of AOL and Compuserve
- 1998 bought MCI for $37 billion
back to the Well Known Canadians Page